Manager of Marketing, Sales, and Communications
Posting Period: May 03, 2021 to May 31, 2021
Deadline for Applications: May 31, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. EDT
Job Focus: Marketing
Job Type: Full-time, 2-year contract position
Career Level: Intermediate
Employee Benefits: Employee health package, flex time, comp tickets
How to Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email: email@example.com
The Windsor Symphony Orchestra thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Applications submitted through employment agencies will not be considered.
JOB TITLE: Manager of Marketing, Sales, and Communications
JOB SUMMARY: The Manager of Marketing, Sales and Communications of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra (WSO) plays a strategic role effectively marketing the programming of the WSO to generate earned revenue, positioning and promoting the WSO and its brand, and developing positive relationships with concert goers, community partners, the media, and other orchestras. As a member of the WSO Management Team, the Manager of Marketing’s areas of responsibility include marketing, communications, social media management, budget management and collaboration with the Box Office and the video production staff. The role requires that the Manager of Marketing is available for concerts and other WSO related events which take place outside of standard business hours. The Manager reports to the Executive Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Marketing and Sales
- Public Relations and Communications
- Brand Management
Marketing and Sales – Concerts and Earned Revenue Programs
The Marketing Manager has lead responsibility for marketing all Main Stage Series. The Marketing Manager works in collaboration with the Associate Conductor and Education and Community Outreach Manager on the marketing of Education and Community Outreach programs.
The responsibilities are:
- Establish positioning, identify target audiences, and develop marketing plans with specific objectives across different channels and segments
- Execute the marketing programs from start to finish, leveraging internal support and driving collaboration
- Analyze customer insights, consumer trends, market analysis, and marketing best practices to build successful strategies
- Create, maintain, and conduct analytics reporting across multiple platforms and extract key insights for future campaign development and go-to-market strategies
- Working in partnership with the staff across departments (Graphic Design, Artistic Director, Video production, Development, Education) and Marketing Committee develop creative briefs and guide creative direction to meet objectives for all advertising and public-facing communications, including print, digital, and video assets
- Conceptualize and execute on multi-channel campaigns across the prospect and customer lifecycle, ensuring the alignment of communications and messaging across all channels
- Gather customer and market insights to inform outreach strategies, increase customer conversions, and generate more qualified leads
- Identify effectiveness and impact of current marketing initiatives
- Data analysis of social media platforms to assess impact and make changes and improve efficacy
- Prepare copy for all marketing materials
- Negotiate all contracts related to marketing
- Create, maintain, and monitor, the marketing budget
Public Relations & Communications
- Develop and maintain open channels of communications between the WSO and media outlets
- Creation of all Media Releases relating to the WSO
- Secure earned media coverage with various media outlets
- Maximize social media to highlight the ongoing activities of the WSO and to generate community interest.
- Act as the Front of House Manager for all WSO concerts
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners and marketing peers at other professional orchestras
- Responsible for ensuring that all communications and marketing reflect and advance the mission of the WSO
- Responsible for ensuring that the WSO website and other electronic communications are current
- Part of a team (Box Office, Development, Finance) managing the WSO’s CRM system and recommending changes and improvements to system
- Work collegially with other departments to keep them informed and to facilitate effective communications and collaborative approach among all staff
- Lead staff person with the Marketing and Audience Development Committee of the Board of Directors working closely with the Committee Chair on planning and support for meetings of the Committee
- Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director
- College diploma or university degree in Business, Marketing or Communications
- Three years work experience in public relations/marketing
- Experience in development a comprehensive multi-platform marketing strategy
- Professional experience with social media marketing
- Knowledge of graphic design and industry trends in graphic design
- Copy Writing experience
- Strong written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively through the web and social media
- Verbal Communications skills: demonstrated ability to act with tact and diplomacy and demonstrated ability to speak/present to large or small audiences
- Up to date on social media trends
- Strong ability to manage social media posts – organic, paid, adjust target markets
- Ability to adapt marketing plan to trends in analytics
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work with minimal supervision when required
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.), and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to take digital photos for marketing and social media use
- Ability to cope with a demanding workload while adhering to deadlines
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies, tools, and processes
- Experience working with a professional orchestra, opera, theatre, or related company and knowledge of classical and orchestral music and formal music training are assets for this position
- Knowledge of CRM software, specifically AudienceView, is an asset
- Experience working with a not-for-profit organization is an asset
Resilience, responsiveness, and commitment to artistic excellence are part of the WSO’s DNA. Since its beginning in 1947, the WSO has responded to the changing landscape of the community: expanding our geographic reach to take music to new, developing neighbourhoods and communities, developing programming that speaks to the increasing diversity of the population, and creating new musical programs, including a comprehensive education program, in response to community need. In addition to a professional orchestra, and as part of our role in nurturing artistic practice and commitment to Music Education, the WSO also engages non-professionals through its volunteer Chorus, Junior String Orchestra, Youth Orchestra, and Community Orchestra (started in January 2019).
The WSO provides the experience of the undefinable power and beauty of live musical performance and shares the power of music to broaden the horizons of young people. No other organization in our area provides these opportunities with the range and quality of the WSO.
In 2012, the WSO move to the Capitol Theatre, a heritage building in the heart of Windsor. The theatre, which is owned by the City of Windsor, is our primary performance space and the location of our administrative offices. The WSO also manages the Theatre as a community performance space. In this new capacity, the WSO has taken a leadership role in creating a cultural hub in the City Centre and facilitating the performance plans and aspirations of local arts organizations. This role has helped the WSO to expand its network and deepen its connections with other arts organizations, resulting in partnerships and collaborations on several projects and programs.
In response to the pandemic, the WSO has transformed the way it delivers programs, shifting rapidly from live performance to the use of digital platforms to stay connected to the community through music.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email: firstname.lastname@example.org