WSCO Contest for Young Canadian Composers
The Windsor Symphony Community Orchestra (WSCO) is pleased to offer an orchestral composition performance opportunity for young Canadian composers. Two (2) composers will be selected to have their works performed on the WSCO’s season finale concert on May 5th, 2020 at the Capitol Theatre in downtown Windsor, Ontario.
The WSCO is an adult amateur orchestra consisting of around 54 musicians who meet on a weekly basis and give four performances a year. The WSCO is a part of the Windsor Symphony Society and reports directly to the Windsor Symphony Orchestra (WSO) board.
- Open to all Canadian composers under 35
- Each composer may submit one work for consideration
- Previously performed works are eligible. Unperformed (or underperformed) works are encouraged
- Works should be no more than eight minutes in length
- Submissions should not exceed the following instrumentation: 18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124 - T+2 - hp - str
- Works requiring vocals or electronics are not eligible
- Concertos are not eligible
- Works should be geared toward ability appropriate level (Community Orchestra amateur musicians)
- If selected, the WSCO will not provide travel or lodging accommodations for composers who plan to attend the concert or any rehearsals
Composers are required to submit all materials electronically. Please use the online submission form to provide the following:
- Orchestral score (PDF) via Dropbox or Google drive links
- Audio files (MIDI is acceptable) should be direct links to Sound Cloud, YouTube, or other online sharing platforms. If possible please do not send audio files
- Composer resume (2 pages maximum)
- Brief biography (250 words maximum)
- $20 application fee [cheque or by phone]
- For payments by phone please call our box office at 519-973-1238. All payments processed via phone will receive an emailed receipt.
- Cheques should be made out to the Windsor Symphony Orchestra Society mailed to 121 University Ave. W Windsor ON N9A 5B5. Cheques should arrive at the WSO office no later than Saturday, December 21, 2019.
- PLEASE NOTE: your application is not complete until we receive your application fee.
DEADLINE: Saturday, December 21, 2019
The online form will close at midnight (12:01 am EST) on Sunday, December 22, 2019
- Two composers will be selected (first and second place)
- The scores will be chosen by a jury consisting of the Conductor of the WSCO, two (2) representative musicians from the WSCO, a musician from the WSO, and the Music Director of the WSO
- Successful applicants will be contacted at the latest by two weeks after the submission deadline
- First Place will receive a cash prize of $750 plus an audio recording of their work
- Second Place will receive a cash prize of $300 plus an audio recording of their work
Parts and Recordings
- Successful candidates will be required to send all music electronically to the WSO to be printed. All parts printed in house will remain with the WSO
- The WSCO / WSO will provide the winning composers with a high-quality recording at our expense
- Any questions should be directed to WSCO Conductor, Daniel Wiley: email@example.com
- Please no phone inquiries