December 13, 2018
JOB POSTING – Technical Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Technical Coordinator
REPORTS TO: WSO Director of Operations and Capitol Theatre Technical Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Capitol Theatre seeks a Technical Coordinator to assist Capitol Theatre User Groups and Windsor Symphony Orchestra Staff in program service delivery, including audio and lighting. This individual works independently and as part of a team, is competent using Microsoft Office, and working with artists and community groups to produce successful events. Flexible hours are required. This position may be shared by two qualified individuals.
In additional to technical skills and knowledge as described above, the successful candidate will possess exceptional organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple event cycles simultaneously, a personable attitude, and the ability to create an environment that is conducive to open and direct communication.
Leading candidates will have experience working in a professional theatre and experience with standard theatre lighting, audio, and projector setups, as well as fly operating.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Technical Coordinator, Capitol Theatre
- Execute and Oversee technical production of services as assigned; ensure crew are
informed and organized, coordinate stage setup;
- Assist, and occasionally manage events for, the Capitol Theatre Technical Director and WSO Director of Operations, including setting up, running, and tearing down audio and lighting equipment, as assigned;
- Stage Manage in the absence of appropriate WSO or Capitol crew (Stage Manager must be approved by Technical Director or WSO Director of Operations prior to the event, in coordination with the Capitol Theatre Manager);
- Attend weekly staff as well as operations meetings and communicate all technical and production needs to other staff;
- Create Technical Plans and Stage Plots for the WSO season, including crew call times, stage access times, equipment required, and other technical needs;
- Coordinate all User Group rehearsal and performance logistics with the Capitol Theatre Manager, WSO Director of Operations and Capitol Theatre Technical Director;
- Organize and inventory all Capitol Theatre and WSO equipment;
- Assist Capitol Technical and Front of House Staff in building maintenance and event setup as required
- Additional duties as assigned
LOCATION OF WORK: Primarily the Capitol Theatre, 121 University Ave W., Windsor ON; other venues across Essex and Kent Counties
TERM OF AGREEMENT: Seasonal contract position January 15, 2019. Full contract will run from August 1 through May 31 annually. Summer work may be available.
- Competent using Microsoft Office
- Competent with the following equipment:
Insight 2x Lighting Board by Electronic Theatre Controls
Titan One by Avolites Lighting Board
Soundcraft Si Expression 3/32 channel Digital consul
Presonus Studio Live 32 Ai soundboard
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Working at heights
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Valid Ontario Drivers’ License
- Experience driving small cube truck
- Permitted to work in Canada
- Lift Operation Certificate an asset (Genie personnel lift)
Deadline for application: December 31, 2018
Expected start date: January 15, 2019
- Please submit the following, via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- List of at least 3 professional references (with e-mail and telephone contact information)
Compensation: $18 per hour based on an average of 40 hours per week.
Note: exact weekly schedule will vary pending Theatre bookings. Evening and weekends required. Monthly schedule jointly determined.
Thank you for your interest in working with the WSO/Capitol Theatre Team.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Windsor Symphony Orchestra (WSO) connects people through music. With its roots in the boom years of the 1940’s to its present incarnation as a dynamic regional professional orchestra, the WSO has spanned three generations. The orchestra’s commitment to excellence and its consistent emphasis on education and community outreach have galvanized a new generation of music lovers in Windsor-Essex and will continue to bring inspired music-making in the future. Throughout its history, the WSO has proudly engaged, entertained, educated, and inspired audiences through the performance of live orchestral music. The foundational underpinnings of the WSO depend on bringing music into a living connection with the greater Windsor community, and finding new and different ways of integrating live performance with other art forms, including film, literature, theatre, and dance.
In the heart of Downtown Windsor, the Capitol Theatre (built in 1920) offers the unique convenience of three theatres in one venue. Today, the building is owned by the City of Windsor, managed by its anchor tenant, the Windsor Symphony Orchestra, and available to local artists and community groups as a multi-purpose venue for dance, literature, music, drama, film, and more.